Sunday 23 May 2010

From this "Coalition Document"

We will stop the deportation of asylum seekers who have had to leave particular countries because their sexual orientation or gender identification puts them at proven risk of imprisonment, torture or execution.
A couple of points about this...

  1. That's a lot of countries. Africa (with a few exceptions), quite a surprising amount of the Caribbean, most of the Middle East, most of Southern and South East Asia and some bits of Polynesia.
  2. How do you know if they're homosexual/bisexual? Answer: you don't.
I'm sure there's some part of this that I'm missing, but it strikes me that this is going to be a fantastic way for economic migrants to claim asylum. You live in Pakistan, Jamaica, Saudi Arabia or Nigeria? Turn up at customs, show them some Kylie records and in you come.

(I'm not actually against the idea in principle, I just don't think they've thought through the likely consequences).

No comments:

Post a Comment